The Fiat Coupe (or Coupe FIAT if you prefer), is a striking piece of design. We’re in the process of recommissioning one which has been left standing for a couple of years, and we will be using Lanoguard to protect the underneath and the box sections.
Although the FIAT Coupe was galvanized and is very resistant to corrosion, this 24 year old example has been in regular use through winters with salt on the roads and had an area that required welding. It’s interesting to note how little corrosion these cars have. We’ve see a Dacia Sandero barely 5 years old with more superficial rust, and many newer E-Class Mercedes have rotted away and been scrapped.
This particular Coupe is the 20V VIS (Variable Induction System) which has a wonderful sounding 5 cylinder naturally aspirated engine. Unfortunately these don’t make the sale prices of the more desirable 20V Turbo model (don’t let that put you off one – arguably it’s a purer driving experience).
The corrosion above could either be plated over (relatively easy and cost effective) or we could recreate the internal shapes that had corroded to tie in the inner and outer layers and create a repair that is almost invisible and as good as original (much harder and much more expensive). Given the limited resale value of this model, the owner elected to go the budget route.
It’s important to have someone inside the car with the airline at this point just in case!
Lanoguard – protect your car and your investment with Lanoguard
Balance Motor Works have recently started using a great product called Lanoguard. This product compared to some of the more noxious offerings on the market, contains Lanolin from Sheep. It’s easy to apply and has some incredible qualities:
- It hermetically seals to the surface it sits on (provides a barrier between the surface and the environment which displaces all oxygen and moisture, making rust chemically impossible).
- It has a natural attraction to metals (it can be sprayed onto existing rust, as it will attract to the metal underneath and slowly push off the oxidation over time.
- It doesn’t require a keyed surface (most conventional products require a ‘keyed’ heavily prepped and de-rusted surface. Lanoguard requires minimal prep because lanolin will happily sit on top of existing rust).
These are the properties of this amazing treatment:
· Jet wash resistant (up to 3000psi)
· Heat resistant up to 450°C (use on exhaust, engine etc.)
· Non-conductive to 70,000 volts
· Non-perishing (they can be used on rubbers and plastics, meaning no masking up is required)
· Petrol and diesel resistant
· Natural and non-toxic (non-harmful to the applicator with minimal PPE needed)
· Non-petroleum based with no overspray (low mess, low clean-up, clean workshop!)
After application on the underbody and in the box sections the surface takes on a nice sheen, ready to repel the worst a UK Winter can throw at it.
If you have a car you like, and you want to protect it – get in touch for a quote to Lanoguard it today!